Thursday, October 16, 2008

Wild about Mushrooms

Did two new dishes using mushrooms that day. Reason being I bought quite a big box of mushrooms on sale and is looking for recipes to utilise them. I found out that amongst my limited collection of recipe books, I have "The Ultimate Mushroom Book" by Peter Jordan & Steven Wheeler, which contains a complete guide to mushrooms and recipes. Hubby is a great fan of mushrooms and he got this book on offer in Popular Bookstore many years ago for only $5.


I had some cream from my baking leftover, so I bought some Tarragon herb to make Mushrooms in a Tarragon Cream Sauce for brunch. It was very tasty served with toasted wholemeal bread.





With the leftover Tarragon, I bought some ready-made puff pastry and pork sausages and made a Pork Sausage Puff with a Seam of Wild Mushrooms for lunch the next day. Actually the original recipe calls for thyme but I didn't want to keep buying fresh herbs when tarragon should worked just as well. It was pretty fun making this dish, cutting the slits on the pastry. I learnt that sausages need not always be cooked nor eaten in its skin. You just put it in water and the skin will sort of loosen. Then you just tear the skin and spread the meat like minced pork. The puff pastry I bought are those already rolled, frozen ones. You just need to take out one piece and defrost it before using. Very convenient and it's not expensive here.

Do let me know if anyone wants the recipes!




Since I've got more puff pastry and some more leftovers of the pork sausage and mushroom, I made another version for KK as his after-school snack the next day. But this time, I skipped all the elaborate wrapping and just do a simple rolled puff style. I cut the puff pastry into half and each half, I divided it some more into 4 rectangular pieces. For one half, I used the savoury pork sausage and mushroom mix. For the other, I decided to make some sweet puffs. I was kind of craving for Delifrance's kaya puff, so I took out my kaya from the fridge and spread it on 2 portions of the puff pastry, then roll it up. I did another 2 with chocolate hazelnut spread, just to experiment and see how they turn out.


I must say the kaya version turned out better looking than the chocolate ones. They taste great too! They were shared between XX and me, too bad for Hubby by the time he woke up from a nap.









No comments: