Monday, January 25, 2010

Life in Singapore

I've been back in Singapore for more than 2 weeks already. Besides attending to the matters regarding my property and spending time with my family, I have been up to nothing much. Compared to the last trip back some 4 months ago, I didn't set up as many social engagements nor made any lists about what local food to eat. The reasons I have largely kept a low profile is to reserve more time for my family, whom I felt I didn't have much time for the last time. Also somehow for this time, my craving for Singapore food is very weak, to the point of indifference. Maybe it's because I've just returned not too long ago.

Anyway, this trip, XiXi has been extremely 'sticky' to me. He tags along wherever I go and refuses to follow even PoPo and YiYi if I'm not around. He wasn't like this the last time. I wonder why? Maybe he's grown older and wiser? Or maybe the child care experience has given him some kind of separation phobia? Thankfully, he's very well-behaved as long as I have some toys or his DS Lite to keep him entertained. Recently, he got acquainted with the iphone and the games inside are really useful to keep him occupied.


Besides XX, I also felt a bit different this trip. I'm not as excited when I see the array of delicious food available at the foodcourts. The humid weather is a lot more felt this time and I hate to see the ends of my sons' hair dripping with sweat from the moment they wake up and leave the air-con room. Their skin is always clammy and they stink by midday! I myself am sniffing and blowing my nose every morning due to the humidity and the change in temperature. Without a car, I take the public transport a lot more and though I compliment SMRT and the town councils for doing a good job paving a smooth way for parents with strollers and prams, I especially dread taking the buses with a stroller.

What I cannot stand most is the crowds. One night we went to the Giant hypermart at Tampines to grab some bread and milk. The place was swarmped with people - at 11pm! There was a queue just to get up the escalator! Despite its size, every aisle was packed and shopping there gives me a headache. I constantly have to make sure my kids don't get in the way of others and that they don't get hurt by the carts. All the cashiers were open but the queues were more than 10 shoppers long in each aisle. It was extremely difficult to navigate through the shoppers and find the end of the queues as they stretched into the product aisles of the supermarket. I know this is a situation that can't be helped with the 4.5 going to 6 million population in Singapore and I believe most Singaporeans don't like it any better than me. That's why I really appreciate and like the spaciousness in Australia.

I'm not an ungratful brat who forgets her roots but I'm more and more convinced that I'm happy visiting Singapore but the lifestyle in Singapore is no longer suitable for me. For my personality, I don't need big shopping centers, good food and tons of money to be happy. I have no issues with seclusion and a slow paced, laid back lifestyle. If only my family and close friends are with me in Australia, then my world will be complete.

2 comments:

Aurorin said...

Hi Eileen! You are back in SG too?

We also came back around the same time i think. And you know what, i am feeling almost like what you describe on the post... Was just blogging about it a few days ago.

Anyway, when are you going back? Enjoy the rest of your trip okie? :)

Pink Lavender 10 said...

hi, we're going back soon! I read your blog too and can understand exactly how you feel. Take care and maybe we'll meet up when you go back!