Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pavlova




Could not resist baking a Pavlova that day when I had 6 egg whites sitting in my fridge. Perhaps the strawberries, perfect toppings for pavlova, and half a jar of cream further motivated me this is the right time, despite the fact that I've never made one before. I'd often seen ready made pavlova bases being sold in boxes in the supermarket and know that it is a popular Australian dessert but I"ve only tasted it once. What made me take the plunge was my sister and brother-in-law's presence. It's a good chance to introduce them a local favourite dessert and they like desserts!



Again I turned to my favourite cookbook, the internet, for advice and decided on a recipe from Donna Hay, a popular Australian based cookbook author. Pavlova is basically a meringue with fruit fillings. It originated in the 1920s either in New Zealand or Australia and was created in honour of the Russian ballet dancer, Anna Pavlova, during or after her tours to the countries.






After whipping the egg whites and sugar until they are thick and glossy, scoop them out onto a baking tray, arrange them into a circular shape and bake at a low heat for 1 to 1 hour 15 mins. Viola, the pavlova base is done! Doesn't sound too difficult right?



To fill it, whip up some cream, spoon it on top of the base and arrange sliced fruits to decorate. I don't think there's a fixed standard on what fruits to use, basically just use whatever is in season or whatver you desire. It entirely up to personal taste, but strawberries, kiwis are common. I go for the safest since it was my first time.




The visual appeal of this dish is fantastic and so pretty! There's something inviting about white fluffy looking meringues and the colours of the fruits just enhances it. Of course, I'm looking at it from the eyes of a dessert lover. My husband saw only sugar and fats and I had to tell my sons they're marshmallows or they won't touch it. Even then, only KK accepted it, XX just wanted the fruits neat. My sis and bro-in-law loved it though. The crispy and sweet cottony inside of the meringue melts in your mouth and the cream kind of cushions the tangy taste of the fruits. So you taste sweetness balanced with the critrus of the fruits......mmmm..:p


Though it was a successful maiden Pavlova, I won't be repeating it as our family dessert anytime soon. Nonetheless for parties, this one will impress.

No comments: