Monday, October 4, 2010

I Can Ski!

Wee! I can ski! And it's not Wii!







More than 15 years ago, on the slopes of the Swiss Alps, I was a student backpacker visiting Europe and the snowy alps for the first time and watching interestingly as colourful skiiers, carrying their skis, clomp their heavy boots into ski lifts. Back then I made a mental note that skiing is one of those things that I should try in my lifetime.






I had a short skiing lesson of 1 hr in Canada about 4 years ago. But it was just an impromptu activity and I wasn't dressed correctly. The jeans I wore and which I mistakenly tucked into my boot left me with blister scars on my ankles that took a year to disappear.






Our 3rd year living in Australia, we decided that with the ski slopes right at our doorstep, the time is right to check out the sport again. We had wanted to go early in the season, probably with my sister when she came visiting, but as our timings don't match, we cancelled the trip. Then late into the season, Hubby found some really good off-peak rates at Mt. Hotam and suddenly we're going again!






And finally, this time, I got to be dressed properly! We managed to get our ski attire for very reasonable prices at Aldi. Being beginners, we don't want to spend too much on gears but a proper set of water-proof jacket, pants and gloves is essential and I must say they served us well, keeping out wind and ice. We got KK a pair of goggles as well. Otherwise, sunglasses will do. Our skis and boots were rented and the kids had to wear helmets too. To prevent blisters, it is better if the socks can be worn high. There should be nothing in the boots except your feet and the socks.






The boys were very thrilled with their "Iron Man" boots but putting them on is torturous. After you struggle through the buckles, you will weigh at least 5 kilos heavier and you walk like a droid in Star Wars. Then try tugging a pair of skis and poles and walking up slope at the same time. Walking with the skis on is no better either if you're climbing upslope. During the first lesson, we practised on gentle slopes and we had to walk up the slope each time after we ski down. God, I perspired! The slope is only a few metres up but that took up 90% of my time and energy. When we finally graduated to use the Platter lifts, I was so happy. It felt so good to be towed up slope. From then on, skiing became a breeze.




At Level 2, we were brought higher up the mountain on the chairlifts. Actually the day before, I'd already gotten some coaching on how to get on and off the chairlift from KK. Surprisingly, KK was a very good teacher. His instructions were very clear and he spoke in a no-nonsense manner, very much unlike his usual clown persona. Despite the awsome view, I don't really enjoy the chairlift rides very much. The wind is so cold and it's blowing directly at you! In between clutching my poles and making sure it doesn't fall off my hands into the white wilderness below, I'm also catching hold of my ear muffs/hat and trying to mop up the rain/snow/ice that was landing on my sunglasses. I had wanted to take some video or photos when I'm riding up on the chairlift but I figured taking out my gloves and holding my camera, trying to aim and focus would be risking it. My other fear is always when I'm getting off, I"m not skiing away fast enough and will get hit by the moving chairlift. Luckily it didn't happen but KK ever got a slight knock on his helmet by the chair and I've seen many people tumble when their skis got tangled.





There are many types of skiiers and I think I belong to the "grandmas" group. Well, maybe even some grandmas are faster than me. I'm not used to the speed at all and I tend to slow down when I feel I'm gonna lose control going too fast. KK on the other hand, is a speed monster. He rushes down the slope, straight. After lessons, I managed to go up and ski down together with him and I found that he can control his skis very well. A few times, I fell down and he managed to stop and climb back up to wait for me. When he falls down, he gets up very quickly. But when I fall, it's another struggle to stand up. Often I find I have to disconnect the skis in order for me to stand up again. Kids are far more agile and flexible than adults in this sport. They learn so much faster and really put us to shame.






On this trip, all of us, including Hubby, managed to go for some lessons and got some basic instructions on skiing. The first 3 days were especially tiring but there was also the sense of satisfaction of acquiring a new skill. Hubby and I took turns going up the slopes to practise and babysitting XX as he's not good enough to ski down yet. Though we signed him up for lessons as well, XX didn't do as well. This is likely due to his reluctance to leave us and probably he's more timid as well. But at least he got his first exposure to skiing.




The other good thing about this trip was the opportunity for the family to be doing things together. Really closer. Usually at home, even though we are physically together under the same roof, each of us are busy doing different things. Like the kids will be playing their games, the adults are surfing the internet or busy with chores etc. But during this trip, we didn't have our computer, Wii or movies with us. All of us watched the same TV programs at night and talked about our skiing experiences during meal times. We all had the same bedtimes, woke up at the same time and have breakfast together, something we don't usually do during normal days.





Unlike 15 years ago, where all I could do was stand around, do some snow play and envy the skiiers, this time round, we were out on the slopes enjoying the snow to the fullest. It was a great experience and more so because it wasn't just the kids who had fun but the adults as well.



(More Pictures in Facebook!)

No comments: