Monday, April 11, 2011

Taekwondo Grading

KK, who has never known an exam in his life, got his first real experience of one last Saturday. His Taekwondo yellow belt grading. 

Since February this year, he has been attending TKD training 2 days a week. Hubby also took it up and they both started from the most basic level, as a 'white belt'. Both of them really enjoyed the sessions. Hubby renewed his interest and refreshed his memory of the moves he'd practised 20 years ago in the army. It was a good cardio exercise for him as well. KK also became fitter, doing push-ups and sit-ups and I saw improvements in his kicks and punches over the last two months.

But still I worry how he'll perform on grading day. There won't be Dad to remind him and there won't be teachers to correct him. He'll be watched carefully by the testers as he goes through his kicks and punches and he'll have to complete the whole sequence by himself. I hoped he won't forget his moves. I worried if he'll sit down halfway through. Worse, will he refuse to even participate on that day? Afterall, he had never been tested seriously. I was anxious yet keen to watch how he'll perform under pressure and scrutiny.


Relax lah brother

The kind of anxiousness I felt was probably natural for all mothers letting go of control. Feeling a little helpless yet excited to see if the tree you've planted will stand on its own after you let go of your hand. For that moment, I willingly gave up my beauty sleep and woke up at 6.30am to attend the grading.  

While waiting for their turn, some people practised but KK did not. If he was nervous, he did not tell me. Hubby was also going for grading that morning, but I have no issues he will definitely get it as he wanted it. KK, I'm not too sure if he took it seriously. We had to remind him not to crumple his uniform and he appeared nonchalent as we fussed over his hair and length of his pants. 


At the end of the day, KK did not fail us. He went through the whole 20 mins sequence without quitting halfway or getting confused. He stood straight and followed all instructions correctly. Most importantly, I saw him seriously doing his best. Getting a TKD yellow belt is not a big deal but I'm proud he kept his nerves and achieved it on his own efforts. I hope he will always have the right kind of attitude as he tackles challenges that comes along and put in his best effort in everything he do. I breathed a sigh of relief when the tester walked up to him holding the yellow belt in her hand. 

  

Congratulations KK and Hubby!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats both! Well done my dearest KK!! Bravo!!

Luv Pauline c.