Monday, May 24, 2021

My Year of the Ox

 I was born in the Year of the Ox, about 4 cycles ago. Today I celebrated my 48th birthday. It was my 13th celebration in Australia. And for the first time in my life, I got a surprise birthday party.



Hubby got organised, it was later revealed, about 1 month ago. He formed a chat group behind my back with my best buddies and arranged for them to get me out of the house for tea party at San Churros. I was supposed to return around 6pm and I thought he was taking me out for dinner. 

The plan was kept secret from me and I suspected nothing about the stock pile of pork loin steaks in the freezer. I thought he was a bit over zealous when the pork chops went of sale. I even used up some for our dinner one night, but he could say nothing. I had no idea even when I met up with the girls for the briefest birthday celebration ever with no cake. When they abruptly said they had to go, I brushed it off that everyone must be really busy. Who would expect that they will then turn around and end up at my house later?

When I got home, KK was cutting up cabbage. I saw Hubby frying tonkatsu pork outside. Oh well, so it's home cooked dinner tonight, I thought. Then as I was checking out the gifts I got, the door bell rang. I thought it was a neighbour coming by to collect her parcel, which she'd sent to our house. However it was the hubby of my girlfriend, with his hands full, carrying food. After about 5 seconds of me staring at him, stunned, surprised and speechless, I figured out what's going on. Wow, for the second time in my life, my husband had managed to surprise me. The first time it was at our wedding, when he turned up suddenly on stage to sing me a song during the church ceremony. In between then and now, he can never keep a secret from me, which isn't such a bad thing, except when it comes to birthdays, I've always managed to know in advance what he's planning. This was necessary, by the way, to prevent him from buying things that I don't want or don't need. Very practical but very unromantic.

So it was a good feeling knowing that these people in my life cared enough about me to plan a lovely surprise on my birthday. I had a great day, beginning in the morning with my favourite coffee and almond croissant near South Melbourne market, then doing some research from my so-called birthday present. 

I guess this year, I'm really feeling a little different from before. I'm more relaxed and don't really worry about how many people will care about my birthday. I decided to just focus on appreciating the things I already have. People who don't care are probably not worth me caring if they care or not too...makes sense?

I told my son today, growing older is not fun so that's why we need birthday celebrations to cheer us up.


No comments: