Friday, November 7, 2008

ANZAC Biscuits



We enjoyed another bite of Australian culture last Monday in the form of delicious ANZAC Biscuits.


ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) biscuits' history can be traced back to World War 1. They were made by the loved ones of the soldiers and sent to those fighting abroad. The ingredients used are those that do not spoil easily as those days, these biscuits would have to endure a journey of about 2 months before reaching the soldiers.


I followed a recipe in this cookbook "Edmonds Biscuits & Slices 1" which I bought almost 10 years ago in New Zealand. I'd given this book to my sister but I don't know how come it's with me now...haha.


The biscuits are really simple to make and smells so good. The taste is very good too, as is the nutritional value. If you're thinking of introducing oats into your diet and don't eat plain oatmeal, this is a good way, I suppose.


Here's the recipe: (makes abt 22 biscuits)

1/2 cup Flour

1/2 cup sugar

3/4 cup dessicated coconut

3/4 cup rolled oats

100g butter

1 tbsp golden syrup (I used maple syrup)

1/2 tsp baking soda

2 tbsp boiling water


Method:

1) Mix flour, sugar, coconut and rolled oats.

2) Melt butter and golden syrup.

3) Dissolve baking soda in the boiling water and add to the butter and golden syrup.

4) Stir butter mixture into the dry ingredients.

5) Place level table spoons of mixture 4-5 cm apart on cold greased oven trays.

6) Bake at 180 degrees Celcius for about 15 mins or until golden brown.


The thing to note is point 5. The biscuit will grow and spread themselves during the baking. I tried to squeeze all of them into my 'not-too-big' tray and they all joined together!!!

No comments: