Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sour Cream Banana Cake

Bananas are not very cheap here in Australia. They are usually priced at $3.99 per kg or more. So when I see bananas at $1.99, I know I have to buy some.



The main reason I'm going bananas over bananas recently is because of XX. This boy is a real 'Cookie Monster'. He loves cookies and biscuits. Over the Chinese New Year period, I have been baking and he has been eating, a lot of cookies. He especially loves Pineapple Cookies, just like me, and can gobble down 4 - 5 every time. As a result, he was experiencing some 'technical difficulties' with his bowel movements. He used to 'go' easily but suddenly one day, he became very reluctant to go to the toilet. He would stain his diapers or pants but yet when we suggested going to the toilet, he would vehemently resist. I remembered one day, he was struggling to get off the toilet bowl and as I struggled to hold him there, I heard a 'thud' sound. We knew, and he knew very well, that he needed to 'go' but for some reason he was so scared to sit on the toilet. I suspected his stools were hard and he probably felt pain every time he passed motion, so that's why he's scared. The problem is, XX is a fussy fruit eater. The only fruits he eats now are apple puree, raisins and bananas. Nothing else.







I gave XX one banana a day but with quite a bunch of bananas, I decided to make a banana cake, at the same time using the left over sour cream in the fridge. This recipe that I randomly choose claimed that this cake doesn't last 5 mins in her family so I decided to give it a go. It turned out to be a winner. The texture is moist and soft and the smell of banana is so fragrant. The kids don't really fancy it but Hubby and my friend gave it the thumbs up. Even after putting in the fridge for a few days, the cake still tasted soft n good. My parents had some when they came and they liked it so I've baked it again this week.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that XX's bowels are back to normal already. The bananas really worked.

No comments: