Monday, June 22, 2009

WHY?

Is always asking 'why?' always a good thing? Most people and experts would say YES, because it means that person is curious and interested to know more. And curiousity is supposed to be healthy in a child.

My 6 going on 7 years old son, KK has been asking 'why?' a lot lately. People smile knowingly and say he's at this 'why' stage, huh? Well, yes, he's at this age where he's trying to make logic of the things happening around him, which is great. And some of the questions he asks are good. I should be happy but I'm not too agreeable that I like it so much sometimes. Here's an example to illustrate why.

Me: Can you go and wash your hands now?
KK: Why?
Me: Because you just came back from school and your hands are dirty.
KK: Why?

I go on to explain for the hundreth time about germs on the playground and classroom in school. He's still not satisfied.

KK: Why doesn't XX have to wash his hands?

At this point, I don't see any point in answering his questions anymore because he's just trying to wriggle his way out of doing what he's supposed to do. And it's usually the time I raise my voice (or the cane) to get the action I want to see.

We get questions from KK all the time for different instructions given to him and sometimes it's very difficult to give him a simple answer. "Why must I go to school?" "Why is being on time so important?" Or the reason is so plain obvious that it's a pain to answer him. "Why doesn't XX go to school?" or "Why must I drink water?"

Some of his questions are genuine but I began to realise that other times, his questioning is more a questioning of our authority and a delay tactic. Initially, we will automatically try to give him an explanation but then we realise he's not really interested in our answers, because he can ask why again when the same thing happens!

Nowadays, when KK asks us 'why' to questions that we have already explained the reasons, we turn around, stare at him annoyingly and ask him back, "You tell us why". And he can.

When extremely frustrated and in lack of time for explanations, we have to simply tell him not to ask why and do as we're told. At which he'll sometimes ask, "But why? YOU said it is good to ask questions."

Someone please tell me this is a passing phase....


2 comments:

Aurorin said...

Heheh its a passing phase! :)

Mind if i add you on to my blog? It's at aurorin_dreamin.blogspot.com

I am still getting use to life in melb.. no work, not many friends & seeing hubby & baby 24/7. Hahaha how do you do it?

Pink Lavender 10 said...

Hi Aurorin, sure, you can add me to your blog.

Really sounds like my lifestyle now:) We've got a handful of friends here, but social circle still small compared to in S'pore. Well, I guess it will take some time to build up the network here. And I like to think that the new made friends in Melb are "additional" friends rather than the only friends we have. Wouldn't have known them if I didn't come here...

Btw, I've created a "Singapore Mothers in Melbourne" group in Facebook. Do look for it and join in. It may help to keep you connected and make friends with other mums here.