Thursday, March 25, 2010

A New Oven

My modest kitchen


My misfortune with the oven in our new home came to a peak when 5 days after we moved in, I decided to try using it to bake some fries and fish. The oven is a gas operated one and must have been at least 15 years old. It was extremely dirty when we took over the house. Some of the knobs were missing and the digital display wasn't working. So was the light bulb. It could be lighted but I found a metal backing of the oven on the floor of the oven and it couldn't be attached back, so I seriously doubt its effectiveness. The grill couldn't stay on, as soon as I took my fingers off the ON knob, the flames go off. I was so frustrated I called the agency and the landlord came over to take a look. He was quite apologetic about it and promised to do something about it. I think I must have sounded so pathetic that I succeeded in convincing him the condition of the oven is beyond repair as he called that evening to inform he's bought a new one.


As for dinner that night, the fish got cooked, but the fries, after about an hour with the temperature set at 200c, continued to be soggy in the center but burnt at the ends.


All's well now. A brand new oven came the next day and it was the most beautiful machine in the world at that moment. Still gas operated, but I've tested that it works as well as an electric one. Previously I was so devastated that I couldn't cook any more grilled chicken wings and bake all my cakes but now I'm at peace again.





From this old thing.....




...to this cool thing.




Today's dinner, including the dessert, was successfully cooked by using the oven and grill completely.




Menu: Grilled rosemary & garlic lamb cutlets, scotch fillet steak, foccacia bread and rich chocolate cupcake







No comments: