Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pregnant Flower

Did you know that some flowers have gender? I didn't know that until recently. I have a pumpkin plant in my garden, which grew from the seeds that we kept from the Japanese pumpkins we eat, to this gigantic crawler with leaves the size of my palm. They started flowering recently, lots of them with huge soft yellow petals. Unfortunately, they wither after a day of bloom and then drop off. None of them produced any pumpkin. I read up a bit and discovered that only female flowers will bear fruit. Apparently all those flowers that bloomed so far were male flowers. Obviously you don't get babies from males. This rule is pretty consistent with plants as well. I was a little disappointed even my plants were like me, no luck for female flowers.

A few days ago, I finally saw it! A flower with a 'baby bump' below it! A tiny pumpkin! My pumpkin flower is pregnant! And not just one but three of them!! Finally, the babies are arriving! This might be interpreted as an auspicious sign for those who believe.....I'll take this chance to wish all who are wishing for babies a fruitful and productive year ahead!!

      


The female flower - see the bump below?

The male flower

No comments: