Friday, January 7, 2011

Innocent Prayers

Even though we are Christians, we admit that we are not the dilligent kind who goes to church every Sunday. But we do talk about God to KK and he's been believing that there is a spiritual Father out there who can make miracles. He does not believe in Santa Claus but he's treating God like one sometimes, judging from the prayers he makes.

Recently he complained of having nightmares at night and as a result of his overactive imagination, would come to our room at bedtime to report hearing strange noises. I suggested saying a prayer before he sleeps. XX got his first introduction to praying that night. Three of us sat around on the bed in the dark, closed our eyes and clasped our hands. Here are some examples of what they prayed:

KK
Besides praying for himself, KK has learnt to pray for others too.

"Dear God, I wish XX would beat me in one of the games.
I wish Mummy would cook salty AND healthy food for me.
I hope Papa would work 7 hours a day and earn $1 million dollars a day.
Amen"

XX
For his very first prayer to God, he didn't really know what to say. And given he's not too eloquent with words yet, it was a really short one:
"Dear God, I wish I like you. Amen"

On the second night, he improved on his wish:
"Dear God, I wish I like so much food and I can't finish it. Amen"

It was really funny to hear the children pray, especially XX, I nearly burst out laughing. He had no idea what to say so what came out from him was probably the only thing that came to mind. And he was constantly checking if I kept my eyes closed! KK also has this habit of 'adding' on prayers after he has said Amen and interrupting other people's prayers with his!

Even though they treated praying to God like making a wish list, I think it's alright at this stage. It was their very first step in communicating with their Heavenly Father. And if they believed God can help them grant their wishes, they will continue to turn to praying in times of trouble and when in need.

No comments: