Monday, November 19, 2007

50 Green Things at Home

It's school holidays again. Now I fully understand why some parents scratch their heads during this period. They are thinking of how to entertain their kids now that they're at home ALL at the same time.

That's why I bought this book 'Perceptive Play!' yesterday, written by Wong Li Lin. Yes, you're right. The Singapore actress, now mother of 2 children, is the author of this parenting book. In it, Li Lin provided 52 fun activities using simple home-available materials. There're a lot of learning through play ideas that provides ample opportunities for parent and child bonding as well. I like them because they support my belief that learning can be fun and need not involve spending a lot of money.
Today, I tried out one of the activity called "Colour shopping". I identified with KK that Green is the colour of the day and I got him a plastic bucket for him to collect all the green colour stuff he can find around the house. He did a fantastic job, picking out green toys, a green pillow, green sweets and even a green bottle of handwash! I awarded him points for every green item found and I asked him to record on a whiteboard. (This way, he practised his counting and numerical skills as well.) When he reached 45 points, I encouraged him to find 5 more to make a total of 50. He did it!

Tomorrow, maybe we'll try another colour or perhaps vary it to "50 round things at home". As Li Lin wrote, "the possibilities are as endless as your imagination!"

No comments: