Thursday, July 31, 2008

Really Pretty Sick

I was right in titling my last post. XX is not just pretty when sick, he IS pretty sick! Me and my stinko mouth!

I thought he was on the road to recovery after the fever subsided but that night, he kept us awake throughout the night with his sniffing, whining, crying and vomitting. (As I'm writing this in the bedroom, the faint smell of the vomitus on the carpet can still be smelt.)

From two plus in the cold morning, he would stir every 5 minutes or so, sit up, cough abit and then sit there whimpering. We tried to tell him to lie back but the more we talked to him, the more he cried. He asked for milk which was promptly granted. Anything to get him back to bed. But even after the milk, he tried to sleep but he can't. Something is bothering him, but we don't know what. It could be his throat or his nose or his head....we can only speculate and try to calm him. Some crying later, he eventually threw up the milk he'd drank. I'd tried to move him to vomit over the bucket which Hubby had placed next to the bed but with all the sheets around my feet, the bedsheet and carpet was still stained.

For some strange reason, XX wants to go out of the room. So both of us went downstairs with him to the living room. In the cold wintery wee hours, we even tried playing toys with him, anything to make him happy so we can all go back to sleep. Then I get this bright idea to play his favourite songs from 'Ou De Yang' and hubby rocked him. It almost worked, until hubby put him down on the cushion (probably his arms got tired) when the little one wasn't really into deep sleep yet.

My memory is hazy now on how we eventually got back into our beds and XX finally nodded off. There was still the waking ups and crying each time he turned but thankfully, there was no need for us to get out of bed, just holding of my hands and my presence was sufficient.

Oh did I mention before that we hold hands to sleep? My earlier blogs has recorded that XX has this habit of touching flesh during his sleep. He used to dig his nails into our arms or scratch us with his fingers when he sleeps. But since we moved to Australia, his habit has evolved. With the change in climate, my pyjamas now basically reduces any exposed flesh to just my hands. So XX has adapted and loves to hold on to my hands/fingers when he falls off to sleep. It's got a calming and reassuring effect on him. It's looks sweet and feels close to hold hands initially but sometimes, he grasps it for a long time and that's when you feel 'locked', not to mention the arm muscles aching for a change in posture!

Anyway, we brought him to see the doctor the next day and he's now on antibiotics. He has runny nose so when he lies down to sleep, I think the mucus must have blocked his breathing and cause the congestion. The 2nd night was better. Again, many waking and sitting ups in the night but no need for milk nor going out of the room. I am awoken but I just watch him and after a while of sitting up, he lies down on the pillow again, holding hands of course. Phew!

No comments: