Monday, November 9, 2009

Hot Spring

I'm having a Hot Spring....And I don't mean the 'onsen' in Japan.

Temperatures this Spring has been warmer and drier than last year. I very clearly remembered on XX's birthday last December, it was pouring cats and dogs. It was one of the wettest day ever. That was my first Spring in Melbourne and I recalled thinking then, how come Spring feels like Winter? Is Melbourne ever gonna be warm? Of course, then came Summer and the heatwave.

It is still early days however, for Summer now but already temperatures go up to 35 degrees celsius in the day. For the past few days, I haven't seen a drop of rain. Thus I'm not sure what to expect when it becomes Summer Summer. The worst part is, our house is not built for hot weather. So staying indoors can be just as miserable as going outside. Thanks very much to global warming and the El Nino.

Since moving to Australia, we realised that we're now much more sensitive to the weather and its changes. Effects of climate changes can be felt more acutely and has a larger impact on our daily lives. Generally, the kind of activities people engage in changes as the weather changes. Previously (in S'pore), I don't care much about weather reports. It's either raining in the east or west and day temperatures always ranges between 30 - 32 degrees. But over here, I cannot ignore it at all. The weather determines how we dress KK for school, whether it's gonna be a picnic at the park or shopping in air-conditioned places this weekend, whether I can start keeping our fleece clothing and start taking out the shorts and singlets. Obviously this year, I am not at all prepared to be wearing Summer clothing now.

Just one month ago, when we first came back from our holiday in S'pore, everywhere was green and luscious, even our neglected backyard. It was what Spring should be. Flowers were blooming, weeds as well. Our lavenders were in top form, our tulips at their peak. All because there was sufficient rainfall. But the good times didn't last. Now, the green landscape is starting to turn yellowish green and if this hot and dry spell continues, it will be totally golden brown before long, like dried chrysanthemum flowers. Speaking of which, I have been making tons of the drink these few days, to cool and hydrate the heaty body, if nose bleeding is a symptom.

Because of what we have experienced here, my dear readers from Singapore, never complain again that you have to avoid puddles and carry an umbrella when it rains. Just think of us dehydrated and half-baked folks down here.

No comments: