Thursday, November 5, 2009

Surprise Menu


Ever had those days where your fridge is full of food but you just don't know what to cook?




Well, today was just that. Up till the time I was preparing dinner, my head was still swirling around several ideas about the menu. I had so many ideas, yet no concrete action plan. I had just returned from the supermarket and added to my fridge lamb cutlets, scotch fillet steaks, whole fresh chicken, chicken thigh fillets, italian pork sausages, bacon, salami, mushrooms and many other yummy ingredients. There're so many possibilities that I can't decide. Should I make an improvised bacon and salami pizza? Or chicken rice? Maybe a creamy pasta? What's more, waiting in my fridge were some pre-softened shitake mushrooms, a quarter cauliflower that's more than 2 weeks old and a slab of defrosted salmon fillet. Sometimes, too many choices is bad....heheh.


Common sense prevailed and I decided that I should use up the 'older' ingredients that cannot be kept first. But how? As I was preparing the ingredients, KK asked me what's for dinner. My answer? "Actually, I don't know. Surprise!" I wonder what he thinks of mummy then. Mysterious, creative or clueless?



At the last minute, I adapted a Shitake Teriyaki Tuna recipe, using salmon instead and adding cauliflowers to the teriyaki mushroom sauce. I also grilled some Italian Pork Sausages wrapped in bacon as a side and made a Spaghetti Alio Olio as the staple.




Ta-da! Dinner is served. Phew, I'd manage to pull it off!



No comments: