Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mother's Day

Last Sunday was Mother's Day. And the first thing I had to do on Mother's Day was to apologise to my son. He was upset with me for letting out his 'secret' the night before.




KK had pulled me aside to tell me a 'secret' as I was about to get into my friend's car to go for dinner. This friend of mine was driving a Toyota Kluger and KK had sat inside there once. His so-called 'secret' was to tell me about a hidden armrest in the backseat! I smiled, waved goodbye and as I got into the car, turned to tell my friends what he said. He heard me and as I closed the door said, "I heard that!" I didn't think much of it anymore but the next morning, upon waking up, KK showed me he was pretty upset about it. So there I was in my pyjamas, humbly saying sorry and trying to regain my son's trust. Even though I didn't consider it to be anything secretive, I admit it was my mistake for failing to respect my young son's feelings.




This event made me realised that my child has grown up. No longer a little tot who doesn't know what the adults are talking about, KK is now listening to our conversations, getting aware of his surroundings and he cares about how others perceive him. So he can get pretty sensitive if we are laughing at him. He knows the meaning of the word "embarrassed" and uses it when he doesn't want to do something. Previously we can share openly anecdotes about him with our friends, I now have to keep in mind his feelings if he's around us.




Luckily, I got off the hook easily with extra kisses and KK got up to help his dad prepare a Mother's Day breakfast for me. In the end, his dad did most of the work and KK got some scolding as he was more interested in eating the bacon that was fried. But he did butter one toast and arranged the food on the plate. So much for making me feel special.




The other highlight of this year's Mother's Day was a celebratory dinner at Crown on the eve with 11 other Singapore mothers. I had formed this group called "Singapore Mothers in Melbourne" on Facebook last year and slowly the members had grown to about 20 plus. Some of us already know each other and have been meeting regularly. This year, I decided to organise a dinner, just for the ladies, to celebrate Mother's Day. 12 Singapore mothers attended. We dressed up nicely, left our children at home and abandoned our motherly duties for one night. It was naughty but fun. I got to know some of the moms for the first time and everyone had a good time exchanging stories and taking photographs over buffet dinner.




The partying over, we reserved the actual day itself for our family. No matter what, Mother's Day is only meaningful with the presence of our children and husbands. Without their support and love, there will be no purpose and laughter in our lives. So while I celebrate my motherhood, I want to take this time to thank my children and husband for everything that they've given me - the role, the joys, the trials, the laughters and the responsibilities.




Happy Belated Mother's Day, especially to my mom, without whom I won't be in this world, and to all of you out there!




No comments: