Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Xiao Long Baos

That day we ate the Xiao Long Baos (Shanghainese Dumplings) in Sydney's Ding Tai Fung is the day I made up my mind to make my own. These dainty XLBs cost about $1.50 each and my elder son can eat as many as 10-15 by himself. I figured out it makes a lot of "cents" to DIY.


Previously I'd made XLBs before but I always used store bought dumpling skins instead. Yes, I was lazy. Making and rolling out each individual dough skin seemed so daunting. Regardless, my XLB fan of a son enjoyed it thoroughly but I know they're no good. The skin is too thick and it hardens quickly after taking out from the steamer. This time, I'm persuaded to attempt making the skin from scratch. I know it'll be a lot of work.




Uncooked Xiao Long Baos


Being my first attempt, my skills were really lousy. I had problems getting them to roll out into a perfect circular shape. I also tried to make the side thinner to make it easier to wrap. Later, I realised that I need to roll the sides little by little, turning the little disc of dough as I go. Traditionally, there's supposed to be 18 folds but initially I could only do about 13. Subsequently, after about 30 XLBs, I finally managed 17 folds.




Steamed Xiao Long Baos





Well, it didn't turn out so bad afterall but it sure was time consuming. The dough is nice to knead and it can be made to stretch very thin, with skill. When steamed, it looked a little translucent, which is very authentic! I made about 37 XLBs from that batch, of which KK ate about 30%. He was really delighted and enjoyed it so much. Even XX loved them. The thinner skin sure makes a difference, it doesn't feel as starchy and heavy as previously. It's definitely worth the effort.





One of my 'masterpiece'



Here's the blog where I adapted the recipe from: http://bakingmum.blogspot.com/2008/10/xiao-long-bao.html

No comments: