Friday, August 27, 2010

KK's 3rd Milk Teeth

Last night, KK lost his upper front tooth, making it his 3rd milk teeth to drop out. It had taken a long time since he'd lost his lower two teeth many months ago and I see many of his peers having almost all their milk teeth replaced. But I'm happy to let nature take its course. Recently one of the front teeth started becoming loose and occasionally I'll hear the boy complain when he'd bit on some food that caused the tooth to move and create pain in his gums.

A similar scenario happened yesterday and I see the tooth hanging by a thread to the gum. However, I lacked the courage to jerk it out for him. I remembered stories about parents in the old days who tie a string from the tooth to a door knob and then slamming the door to get the tooth out. I wonder how true they are. I definitely am too chicken to do that. Instead, I gave KK a tissue and asked him to dab at his blood from his gums. The next thing I know, the tooth dropped out with the tissue.


There's now a huge gap in his smile with one lonely front tooth left hanging. It won't be long, I know, before this one goes as well. The next step is what to do with the newly fallen tooth. I tested out his belief for "tooth fairies", asking if he'll like to keep it under his pillow that night and maybe the tooth fairy will give him $1 for it. KK asked for $1 millon instead. No way, I said. If it's such a good deal, I'll gladly lose some of my teeth too, I thought. Then the savvy businessman decided that for $1, it's not worth selling his precious tooth. He then gave it to me so the tooth fairy wouldn't take it away and asked me to safe-keep it instead for memory.

I noticed that KK is a sentimental person. He asked me if I'd kept his earlier 2 milk teeth (which I didn't) and he didn't allow me to donate some of XX's baby clothings away.

No comments: