Saturday, November 20, 2010

I Bought My Own Cake

KK's school organised a fete yesterday. Here's another new word I learnt in Australia: fete. According to the dictionary, a fete is "an outdoor event where there are competitions and things to eat or drink, usually organised to get money". I don't even know how to pronounce 'fete'. Is it pronounced as "fe-teh" or "fat"? I decided to follow KK, who pronounced it as "feit". 

All I know is, for the fete, the school were asking for parent volunteers to help out at the stalls and they were also selling "unlimited rides" bracelets for $20 each. I did neither, though I did consider helping out. However, with no one to look after XX, I can't. As for the rides, I figured the queues might be so long that the "unlimited" bracelets might not makes sense. And if I get KK one, I will have to get XX one as well. I will just buy them individual rides (@$5/ride) on that day.

What I did help was to bake a cake for the school. The school sent home a letter asking each family to bring a cake to the school on the day of the fete. They even attached a recipe of a cake for us to use. Apparently they were setting up some cake and tea stall on that day. I'm not comfortable with the idea actually. I was telling Hubby, how can the school be assured that the parents who baked the cakes baked it hygienically? Parents were asked to list the ingredients used but how do people know if they were fresh or if anything else was added and not declared? There could be serious sabotage potential and who should be responsible if anyone consumed the cakes and fall ill? Maybe I watched too many conspiracy movies or perhaps Australians are more trusting but I will not buy any of those cakes. Regardless, I will do my bit to bake the cake. 


My cheap and good cake, half eaten

On the day of the fete, I walked into the gym, curious to check out their cake & tea stall. I found on this long table all sorts of cakes that the parents had baked or bought. They were selling the cakes for a price of between $1 and $5. And then I saw my cake. It was priced at $2!

Honestly, I felt a bit insulted at first. The ingredients alone would have cost more than that! What about the effort? Then again, my cake did not look very impressive. It was perfectly round but a little short and the top of the cake was a little chipped off when I turned the cake out from the pan. The people there could only judge the cake by its presentation but I know the cake taste good and it's the only one I will trust to eat. I should have waited till the end to see if anyone bought my cake but I was quite hungry then. So I bought my own cake back! Then I kind of felt lucky that they priced it only $2 and I had gotten a really good deal....really weird.



KK couldn't understand why I had to bake a cake to give to the school and then pay money to buy it back. I told him that it was a form of donation to help them raise funds. Besides that, we also spent money on buying food and drinks at the fete but not for the rides. KK was a little gumpy that his friends had the unlimited bracelets and he didn't. Looking at the long queues, I refused to get it for him and offered him individual rides instead. He didn't want it. Luckily, he just sulked a little and did not throw a big tantrum like another son of my friend.  


A dejected KK playing with XX at the playground


No comments: