Monday, November 8, 2010

Mango Pudding

Mango season is here and the other day, one kind mom from school gave me 3. She got them real cheap as they were very ripe and had some blemishes. And they were so sweet! I ate one and asked Hubby if he preferred mango pudding or a mango cake. He voted to turn the last 2 mangoes into mango pudding.

I'm quite an experimentative person especially if I'm in a situation where I have to adapt. This time, a can of near expiry condensed milk in the pantry is the reason for my creation! 

Most mango pudding (the kind you find in chinese restaurants) recipes calls for evaporative milk. But as explained above, I want to use condensed milk. At the same time, I can also save on adding sugar. For added flavour, I decided to stir in a mango flavoured yogurt ice-cream as well. I didn't see any recipe that used yoghurt before so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will not affect the jelly setting.

Phew, the experiment turned out well. Creamy, smooth and full of mango sweetness.


I'm posting the recipe here for my own reference but if anyone should try it, let me know if you like it too.

Ingredients:
  • 2 ripe mangoes, take out flesh and dice
  • 200ml condensed milk
  • 1 tbsp unflavoured gelatine
  • 225 ml hot water
  • 1 stick of mango yogurt ice-cream

Method:
  • Puree about half the amount of mango in a blender. (If you want it yellower, add in more mango)
  • Dissolve the gelatin in the hot water, stir in the condensed milk.
  • Add mango puree and stir well.
  • Stir in the ice-cream until it melts completely.
  • Add in the last bits of diced mango.
  • Pour into moulds and chill until set.

Hmm....this is a really nice dessert on a hot summer day.

No comments: