Thursday, March 6, 2008

Night Guard Duty

I'm now on duty, watching over XX as he sleeps with 3 different tubes and wires attached to his hand, chest and calf, accompanied by monitors. One of them is dripping the expensive IVIG 'blood product' (which is not red in colour) into him. The second one monitors his heart and respiratory rate (115bpm, 40rpm at the moment) and the third measures his blood pressure every 10 mins or so.

My job, to ensure his heart rate, respiratory rate stays normal, to alert the nurses if the dosage is completed and most importantly, to ensure the tubes/wires don't get disconnected when XX turns or worse, gets entangled and coil themselves around him. A while later, it'll be Hubby's turn to take over for the next three hours. I expect we will need to give him a milk feed soon, followed by another round of asprin and antacid around 3.30am. Then you can see his heart rate really go up as he struggles and protests. Sorry XX, it's not easy on us too, but it's good for you. Hopefully by tomorrow morning, the treatment will be completed and you will be free again. But I heard the asprin dosage must go continue for one month?....opps, hope I heard wrongly.

OK, right now, his RSP doesn't show any score, I think I better alert the nurse. Could be his sleeping position.