Thursday, March 6, 2008

A show of talent

While camping over at KK Children's Hospital this past week, we have been hanging around the hospital's mall and food outlets quite a lot. Then again, where else can we go?

I have some interesting observations and questions about doctors:

Q. Ever wonder why doctors hang their stethoscopes around their necks when they go for lunch?

Of course, not everyone does it, cos I saw our senior consultant doctor downstairs at Delifrance during lunch and I don't see a stethoscope around her neck. But I see quite a lot of them, mostly the younger ones and MALE, eat lunch with that equipment around their neck as though they've forgotten that it's there. One of them even used it to 'choop' a seat at the foodcourt. Normal people use tissue papers but doctors a bit more high class, they use their stethoscopes. Practical purpose notwithstanding, isn't the 'outside' environment a bit unhygenic to bring your medical equipment around? Afterwards they're gonna press it onto their patients' chests and backs, do you think they clean it before using it? I don't think their HODs stipulated this as their dress code right? Or perhaps they get a discount at the F&B outlets if they show their stethoscopes? Understandably, it's a little cumbersome to carry their framed MBBS cert around every time they go for lunch.

Sorry, doctors or friends of doctors, correct me if I'm wrong but my only conclusion for that display is about showing off. Afterall, the nurse don't get it.