Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Swimming Lesson #1 (Photos added)

Over the last 3 and a half years that we've stayed at our condominium, we've had privilege use of a swimming pool right at our door steps, but we've never signed up KK for any swimming lessons. Earlier on, I felt he was too young to follow instructions. Later on, our dear KK insisted that he doesn't want to take lessons to be a swimmer. He's happy just fooling around the poolside with daddy and mummy and contented to remain in the baby pool forever. Alright, mummy is also pretty indecisive and couldn't decide on which swimming instructor to use.

Finally, I told myself, I'm always gonna live in regret if I never let KK learn swimming when it was so convenient to do so. One day soon after, I was taking a stroll along the pool with XX. I walked past the pool and this swimming instructor greeted me with a cheerful smile. I've always seen her around the pool, with her fancy swimming props occupying one whole ledge along the pool and I believed she lived in our condominium as well. Since she was so friendly, I just naturally asked her if she's still taking students and she said yes! We exchanged phone numbers and here we are today - KK's first swimming lesson.

As expected, KK was resistant and whiny when we told him he's going for swimming lessons. He begged and pleaded, argued and reasoned with us. But we have our way to convince KK. We told him that there'll be lots of interesting floats for him to play with and there's gonna be fun games. He was tempted but bargained that mummy has to be in the pool with him.

Sure enough, this instructor follows an internationally recognised syllabus and her method of instruction is unlike the usual boring swimming coach style. There are many different short exercises, to practise blowing bubbles, kicking, hand strokes, using different swimming floatation devices, so the kids don't feel bored. These swimming floats are colourful foam floats that can be joined to become a circle or a "water-cycle". KK leaped onto the "water-cycle" without hesitation to do his warm-ups and from there, we let the instructor take over. I, thankfully, did not have to shed my clothes and stayed dry watching him from the deck chair.


Surprisingly, KK turned out to be a very obedient student. Everything that the instructor asked him to do, he followed her instructions and did it dilligently. I must say I'm quite proud of his behaviour. I told my husband, if we had given him these same instructions, I bet my life he would never have followed. There'll be thousand and one excuses and lots of bargaining. By which time, we'll either tire ourselves talking and give up or blow our top at him. For example, I bought him a pair of goggles some months ago but we've never managed to convince him to wear it. Now, the instructor says he must wear it if he wants to become a swimmer. Some things in life, we just have to spend some money for others to do the job.


One regret though, I forgot to bring along my camera for this significant milestone. I'll try to take some photos next lesson so that I can post it up.

No comments: