Friday, March 28, 2008

人心难测

My mother always tells us: "害人之心 不可有, 防人之心 不可无." (Loosely translated, this means "while you should not have the intention to harm others, you should also guard yourself against others.") This self-protection mechanism has been ingrained in me long enough to develop a general scepticism towards human kindness.

Recently, my (limited) faith in people is put to the test again. The first incident revolved around the payment of my training fee. For the work done in February, a cheque was supposed to be sent to me. However, after waiting for more than 2 weeks, I still have not receive it. I was told the cheque got returned as the administrator forgot to put in my unit number in the address. She said she will send it to me again. After another week and multiple checkings of my mailbox, I still haven't receive my training fees. She claimed she will re-issue the cheque and let me know to collect it when ready. I tried to sound trusting and not accusing but whatever bad thoughts you are thinking now, I have already imagined it.

The second incident happened yesterday. We discovered that our car parked at the basement carpark had been bumped into. Part of the left bumper got cracked and drooped down slightly.

"Damn, of course the bugger must have scooted off immediately." That was my first thought. Then Hubby showed me a note written by the culprit, who apologises and left his phone number for us to contact him.

"Not bad, at least this fellow has some integrity." I was in fact impressed and surprised until Hubby highlight that there is one less digit on the mobile phone number.

"Great, now how are we gonna find him? 简直是海底捞针." I wondered if the act of omission was deliberate.

Rather than try to second-guess the missing number, I thought of putting up a note on my car bumper, addressed to the culprit, asking him to call us instead. I guessed he would definitely come and take a look at my car again. And here comes the real test - whether he's really sincere to take responsibility or is he just paying lip service.

At 8pm that same night, he called. My faith for the human spirit is restored by one point. But it awaits to be seen if we will eventually get our bumper repair reimbursed.

Meanwhile, my wait for the cheque continues....


Post-post Note: Shortly after posting this blog, the cheque arrived, after 6 days in the mail. Add one point to human spirit again, minus one point for SingPost.