Thursday, April 3, 2008

Food Experiments

Life was so much simpler when babies only drank milk, wasn't it? When it comes the time for solids, how nice if babies can fill up a survey form or better still, come delivered with instructions on the kind of food that they like and dislike so everyday mummy just have to prepare the food accordingly to the list and never go wrong.

XX is getting increasingly discerning about the things around him, which is great, except that it includes the food he eats. Currently, XX's diet is supplemented by porridge twice a day. I alternate it with either cod fish or chicken/pork. But recently, he started to show signs of boredom during meal times. It's really obvious. When you bring the spoon near, he'll start fidgeting, rub his face/eyes/mouth, stretch his arms, smearing the food to his hair and twist his head away. Sometimes, I really feel like hammering him but... 我忍!

While previously he was quite adventurous with new food, opening his mouth wide to accept ANYTHING served on a spoon, nowadays, he'll eye the stuff suspiciously and then take a cautious small nibble to assess the taste first. If he doesn't like the taste, he'll wrinkle up his nose, squint his eyes and sometimes push the food out with his tongue! Of course, there won't be a chance to get him to open up his mouth again. Over the last 2 days, he's turned his nose up on mushroom soup, yoghurt and kaya bread.

Today, after researching some days on baby recipes, I experimented cooking something different for a change - an improvised western style "Potato & Fish in Cheese Sauce". It was my first attempt at making cheese sauce. Because the recipe book says for best results don't use low fat cheese and I didn't trust processed cheese, I got the most expensive natural grated cheddar cheese. With the expectation of a scientist doing an experiment and like an artist mixing colours, I combined the melted cheese sauce with the mashed potatoes and fish, slowing adding more of each until I'm quite satisfied with the taste. But of course, the real experiment was yet to come. I really hope XX will like it.


When I came back after sending KK to school, I peeped in to see the maid feeding XX his lunch. He was opening his mouth and taking in the food without much protest. Hurray! He likes it! But when I went in, maid reported that XX didn't like the original recipe. She had to add some baby cereal to it before he took it. Sigh...here goes my effort.


Well, I'm not about to give up. Dinner, XX shall try sweet potato and the remainder of the potato fish cheese puree. Perhaps he will like it when it's sweeter.

I'll worry about tomorrow's lunch and what to do with the rest of the cheese later. Right now, the scientist/artist needs to transform into a driver to pick up KK.



Entertaining XX during mealtimes includes letting him play with my mobile phone camera. He got trigger frenzy and took a whole series of self-portraits.



The 'Scientist' and her guinea pig....haha