Monday, April 21, 2008

16 Months

XX turned 16 months on Hubby's birthday last week. Here are some updates of his development over the last few weeks.


Naptime Lullaby

XX have been taking his naps falling asleep to the voice of Taiwanese singer Ocean 欧得洋 "Ou Deyang". It's strange but when I play his CD, the first song 幸福車站 will calm him down immediately and by the time the 2nd song is finished, he will be asleep....zzzzzzz....cool



Sleeping Thru

I officially declare XX sleeping through the night! Since about 2 weeks ago, I noticed that every morning at about 5 - 6am, he will start to toss and turn and make a bit of noise (ng....ggg). However his eyes are still closed and he is not really crying. And if I were to just pat him or hold his hand, he will soon fall asleep again quietly until about 8 plus. Since then, I've stopped feeding XX milk in the middle of his sleep.



Toilet Training

XX is quickly getting used to the idea of peeing in the potty and pooing in the toilet bowl. After he wakes up from his sleep or nap, we'll undo his diapers and let him pee into the potty. (He's still too short to stand and pee into the toilet bowl direct.) And when we sensed or smelled that he might want to poo poo, we'll bring him to the toilet bowl and let him shit right into it. So far, the success rate is about 80%. Hopefully he'll soon progress to telling us when he feels like going to the toilet.



Bath Time

XX is extremely afraid of heat. He perspires alot during the day and is usually sticky and clammy as long as he's outside of air-con environment. At night, he sleeps better if the air-con is on and he doesn't even need any blankets. One hot humid evening, mummy me is desperately in need of a shower and this sticky baby (literally) is clinging on to me like a koala bear. Maid is busy so I decided to bring him into the bathroom together. This way I can watch over him and have my bath at the same time. In the end, I stripped him and showered him as well since he's so sticky anyway.

Linguistics
XX is developing his linguistic ability by leaps and bounds. Now, in between his babyish babblings, we can make out a few English words like 'come', 'bye' and 'press', although his pronunciation is not perfect. I remembered KK was only able to speak after age of 2. I'm not comparing but I think all the fish oil that I take during my 2nd pregnancy is making a difference.

Playmate
XX is extremely playful and likes to giggle happily when something fun happens. KK remains XX's favourite playmate despite their frequent fights/quarrels (yes, XX can't speak but this doesn't mean he cannot quarrel - and he seldom lose), intellectual differences and age gap. See for yourself:

This video is taken today after dinner and they've made at least 10 round trips.

XX trying to get a turn at his newly discovered 'slide' in the bedroom.