Monday, April 21, 2008

Dinner No Dance (DND)

Last Friday I attended Hubby's company Dinner and Dance at the Shangri-la hotel. It has been a while since I've dressed up formally for such events. So it was with some excitement and anticipation that I put on my contact lens and mascara, after dropping off maid and kids at my mum's place.

The dress code was supposed to International costumes, so there were a few people dressed in eygptian costumes, kimonos and hanbok. (I promised myself that one day I must get myself a kimono and hanbok when I visit Japan and Korea.) But why is it that I see some ladies in sarong kebayas from those tourist shops in Chinatown? I couldn't believe my eyes when I turned and saw someone actually dressed in the authentic sarong kebaya uniform of SIA! Of course, being from the airline before, one look and I knew she was a fake. The uniform is not fitting and the hair - so messy, cannot make it - and the shoes, where are the batik sandals? I felt uneasy that the 'sacred' SIA uniform is worn as a costume at some company DnD but I suppose this person just wanted to have fun and meant no harm. Anyway, I was in no position to interfere anymore. Nonetheless, I cringed whenever I caught sight of her.

The crowd is also different from the crowd I'm used to. In SIA Cabin Crew division, the people are usually more lively and participative. This time, I see the MC trying his darnest to get the crowd to liven up. He really deserved every cent of his fees that night. Well, the Management is to be applauded though, for being sporty and very entertaining. The top guy from Netherlands came dressed as a chinese Emperor, complete with the 'long pao' and crown.

Dinner was good although after the 2nd course of shark's fins, one usually experience diminishing returns. By the time you reach the mushroom with sauteed spinach (or was it asparagus?), you're just nibbling politely, waiting only for the dessert.

We left after dessert to pick up our sons. We didn't wait for the last top 10 lucky draw prizes to be drawn as it was by then almost 11pm. Although Hubby asked one of his colleagues to look out for our lucky draw number, we haven't heard anything yet so I assumed we failed to get lucky.

What about the other 'D' of DND? Before dinner was served, the MC made everyone stand up and move to the dance floor. He stated that everyone had to dance now because last year, almost all went home after the winner of the top prize of the lucky draw was announced. That was about as close to dancing as we got. But it was fun, reminds me of the old days at uni's jam and hop. Those were the days...

No comments: