Monday, September 8, 2008

Father's Day

Yesterday was Father's Day. I've always thought Father's Day was celebrated universally around the world on the same day, apparantly I was wrong. S'pore had ours in June and for Australia, it was September. I wonder who decides on when is Mother's Day, Father's Day, Teacher's Day etc? No matter who decides, the people who MOST LOVED to celebrate these occasions must be the retailers. More than a month ago, all the mailers/catalogs we received from every major departmental store has been using Father's Day as their theme, featuring all kinds of products that you can buy as gifts for Dads and enticing you to spend more money. I should know, haha, I was one of these marketers back in S'pore long ago!


Well, even though we've already celebrated the occasion back in S'pore, I'm one of those 'sentimentalist' who couldn't resist making this day a little bit more special than usual. I decided not to buy anything for Hubby, since it will be coming from his pocket no matter what I buy. I decided to reward him for his efforts in being a good father by making some of his favourite food - Lor Mai Kai and spicy fried Chicken Wings.


I marinated the chicken wings and soaked the glutinous rice the night before. After breakfast, I fried the seasoned chicken mushroom rice and put it to steam. Actually I'd the Lor Mai Kai recipe some time ago. I couldn't make it as I couldn't find the right sized bowls for steaming. I finally found some suitable ones last week at an asian supermarket in St. Albans. The recipe can be found here. It made about 5 bowls. Hubby loves it. His only comment was the mushroom was chopped too small. He said those he saw had it in large slices placed at the bottom of the bowl. Alright, point noted.




The chicken wings were marinated with Seah's seasoning, so it couldn't go wrong. I used to hate frying chicken wings because it took so long and used so much oil. Well, surprisingly it didn't take too long this time, maybe because I used a big wok (which also means using more oil), so I could like fry 8 pieces at one time. I had 26 pieces. By the time I finished, it was almost 1pm. I packed the food into boxes and we took the children to a nearby park for a picnic.



It was a cloudy day and a little windy and chilly. But the park was quiet, peaceful and the view was beautiful. XX ate the Lo Mai Kai while KK attacked the chicken wings. After lunch, the kids went to the playground to play. There was a lot of big open spaces there for the kids to run around. There was also a lake (not sure if it's man-made or natural) with some ducks swimming around and a pathway for you to take a stroll around. Best of all, it's only like 5 mins from our place. This is indeed a nice neighbourhood. We had to leave when it started to rain.

Here are some pictures. I will post more pictures in Facebook.


KK eating his chicken drumlette and hiding from the wind under the table.

XX at the playground

KK trying out his skills at climbing

No comments: