Monday, September 29, 2008

A Tale of 2 Butter Cakes

Creole or Oreo?


As he ate my Earl Grey Chiffon Cake, Hubby commented that now that I'm baking better, when am I going to make some butter cake. See where all my inspirations for baking come from? So I looked around and found this butter cake recipe which has Oreo inside. KK loves chocolate, so adding Oreos will make this butter cake sounds like a chocolate cake! I hope to fool KK into eating it by its great sounding name. The recipe I used is from this blog: My Kitchen, My Laboratory (click here). This is the first time I have made a cake that involves using yoghurt. I was wondering if the cake will turn out having the sour taste of yoghurt but it didn't.

Talking of yoghurt, I have been using a lot of yoghurt recently as a marinade for my Indian cooking. My old impression of yoghurt is those low-fat ones you eat at breakfast for calcium, with bits of strawberry, blueberry fruits. I'm just starting to learn that yoghurt can have other uses in cooking and now most recently, baking too. I'm beginning to like this ingredient.... :-)

Creole Butter Cake

I have baked 2 Oreo Butter Cakes already - ok, actually the first one was Creole Butter Cake instead as I couldn't find anymore Oreo biscuits in the supermarket. There was a sale and it was all sold out at that particular Coles that I went to. I settled for some Creole cream biscuits which looked like imitation Oreos - chocolate biscuits with cream in between.



The 2 cakes followed the same recipe except for the following 3 differences:
  1. Cake #1 uses Creole biscuits (Coles house brand) and Cake #2 uses Oreo biscuits.
  2. Cake #2 had only 180g of yoghurt (25% less) in it. Not that there was anything wrong with Cake#1 that warrants my change. I simply found out that I had not enough yoghurt left when I made the cake....hee, 'pai-sey'.
  3. Cake#1 uses all plain white flour instead of the cake flour in the recipe. Cake#2 had 2 tablespoons of flour replaced with cornflour. Read that this will substitute for the cake flour.

Here's how they turn out:


Cake #1 with Creole biscuits



Cake #2 with Oreo biscuits



The difference in taste and texture?


  • Both cakes are very soft and taste great. KK and XX ate a lot of it.

  • Cake #1 is more moist because of the yoghurt and also more dense.

  • Cake #2 is lighter due to the cornflour addition but also slightly drier. Guess the yoghurt really makes a difference.

  • The Oreo cookies in Cake#2 are more obvious due to its darker colour. Also, the Oreo biscuits didn't crumble into powder, thus the pieces were bigger in the cake. The Creole became like Milo powder when I pounded them. Taste-wise, other than the psychological advantage of its branded name, I cannot honestly say the Oreo biscuits made any significant difference to the taste.

I would declare Cake#1 the better cake but Hubby likes Cake #2 better. He prefers the crunchier Oreo bits and the harder crust. So both are winners!



No comments: