Monday, September 29, 2008

The 'Not So Great' Ocean Road Drive

Ah Gong and Ah Ma (Hubby's parents) arrived last Monday from Singapore and since then, we've been showing them around our usual haunts, where we shop for Asian groceries, yum cha etc.





Unfortunately, due to the limited capacity of our car, we couldn't venture too far with everybody squashed in and KK sitting on my lap. The furthest we went was to the Open Range Zoo in Werribe. There, a bus took us around and we got really upclose to some animals but I still felt that it was a little fake. The zebras, rhinos and giraffes looked a little 'unnatural'. They appeared to be 'placed' there for us tourists to drive pass and see them. You know, I was kind of expecting the 'Kruger National Park' kind of experience where animals really roam freely and you have to spot them but I guess I need to go to South Africa for that.





Anyway, last Sunday, Hubby rented an MPV for one day and we had plans to show Ah Gong and Ah Ma The Twelve Apostles along the Great Ocean Road. I wished I can show you some great photos of us posing with those famous rocks but our road trip was quite a disaster.



We had grossly underestimated the travel time needed to get there. We thought that it would take around 1 to 2 hours to drive there but in actual fact, it would take about 6 hours. In the morning, we took our time to tour the city and in the afternoon, we even went up north to the suburb of Cragieburn, looking at the new land release, showing Ah Gong Ah Ma some display homes, before setting off to The Great Ocean Road.



Not realising that we cannot reach our destination before sunset, we enthusiastically went ahead down the winding path of The Great Ocean Road. After many bends and turns, I felt a little car sick. I tried to control it by not moving around too much and looking outside at the views. Then XX started crying a little. Initially I thought that maybe he's sleepy and tried to pat him to sleep. Then I suspected that he might be feeling a little uncomfortable too. Since my backside is already aching from sitting for so many hours in the car, I asked Hubby to stop somewhere for everyone to get down and stretch our legs a little. It was a good decision. By then, we sort of realised that we might not make it to our destination before dark but we have no choice but to drive on as we're at the point of no turning back.




We got back into the car and took more turns and bends along the coast. Gosh, I cannot imagine living here. Though the view is scenic, the drive home everyday would be a nightmare! XX was very happy when he got off the car to run around and was in a cheery mood back in the car. But after a while, he started fussing again. I tried to carry him but this made me quite car sick. So I put him back into his carseat and tried to comfort him as best as I could. I suspected he had motion sickness as well but he just couldn't express it. My suspicions were confirmed when all of a sudden, he threw up all over himself.



Hubby stopped the car and everybody tried to help - get him out of the carseat, grab tissues etc. KK exclaimed 'get me out of this place!' and promptly moved to the back row. Thankfully he didn't add on to the mess by throwing up as well from the smell. The carseat, XX's blanket, jacket, shirt, pants and even my sleeves were stained. And I don't have a spare set of clothes for him too! Luckily, I'd brought along extra woolly jacket for him so we changed his shirt and a new diaper for him. After his vomitting, he seemed to feel better and appeared happier. But the stench lingers....!



It was dark by the time we stopped for dinner at Otway Junction Bristol. I didn't dare to feed XX anymore food unless he asked for it, in case history repeats itself later. XX was walking around in his diapers in the restaurant but we wrapped his legs up in Hubby's jacket when we went outside. After we got back into the car, he fell asleep in his stinko, semi-wet carseat. KK too fell asleep when he realised that there's still another 2 more hours of driving to go before we reach home. I couldn't sleep. All I wanted is to quickly reach home so I can get off the car and take off my stinko jacket. Strange, I think I have been used to standing and walking over the last few months. Now sitting still in an enclosed space over an extended period of time is tough for me. Ah Gong and Ah Ma did very well though. No car sickness nor numb legs throughout this journey. KK has declared this journey as 'the longest journey of my life'. He kept asking me (every 5 mins) how many more minutes to go before we reach home.



When we reached home, everyone spilled out of the car, happy like a bird being released. Of course, there's the post-vomitting administrative stuff and loads of extra food to take care of. But there's no place like home sweet home.... :-)



No comments: