Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Beach Boys

Finally, the weather is warm enough this week for us to visit the beach again. This would have been our third attempt at going to the Altona beach. Our first attempt during Spring, (I think in Nov?) failed miserably the minute we stepped out of our car. The wind was howling and we zipped up our jackets immediately. Looking around, the whole beach was deserted, except for a few joggers/walkers walking their dogs. There were a few cars parked in front of the beach, but its occupants decided to stay inside and enjoy the sea view through the windscreen. I thought we were the only crazy buggers carrying beach toys in this lousy weather, then I saw another disappointed looking kid, also all zipped up and holding beach toys, with his dad walking away.



Beautiful Day


But the weather was perfect yesterday as we headed down after breakfast. This time, instead of cloudy grey skies, it was a clear blue sky. I see many other beachgoers already set up their tents and beach chairs and people bobbing in the sea, so I know we're definitely going to dig some sand this time!




The kids began scooping around the sand with their mini spades before we could even lay out the picnic mats. After a few minutes, just as I start to sit down and enjoy the sand on my toes, KK got a bit bored with the sand and asked "why do we have to go to the beach when we already have a sand pit at home?" I thought the answer was very obvious - the sun, the breeze, the view. The sea, the water, the salty smell in the air. I didn't think he liked the sea very much. He asked what's that awful smell (of salty sea) when he got down from the car and when I asked him to go take a walk in the water, he said he's not stepping onto those 'black black' (seaweed) things. Well, there were a lot of seaweed being washed up the shore and in the water. I do find it a little yucky myself but we've got to let go of our 'urbanised-self' and embrace 'ruggedness' if you want to appreciate nature. Afterall, you get used to it after a while.

All protected - sunblock, hat and UV protected swimwear


KK sitting proudly beside his 'castle'


I realised that if I don't want to go home after 30 mins here, the children might need some help to spark off their imagination about what they can do at the beach. Left to their own devices, they'll probably end up throwing sand at each other. Instead of just digging aimlessly on the sand, I suggested to KK that we build a sand castle. The sand there is really fine and dry, we'll need some water to moist the sand so we can pack it. This got him and XX interested and we were busy moulding a mini mountain castle. I started collecting the water from the sea but before long, KK ventured there himself, through the seaweed and all, to get the water. XX, unfortunately, refused to enter the water again, because he said it was cold.




KK was very proud of his castle. He even decorated it with shells and 'cannons'. There was also a 'catapult' and a drawbridge, just like that medieval Kryal Castle. I learnt that day that one of our role as parents is to inspire our children to the possibilities out there and what they can set themselves to achieve.

No comments: