Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chinese New Year

It's that time of the year for all Chinese to celebrate but not all Chinese are celebrating.

Our first year in Australia, this is also our first Chinese New Year where we won't be celebrating with our family back in S'pore. Ironically, this coming New Year is the Year of the Ox, MY year!! Naturally, I'm feeling a little homesick during this period, knowing I'll be missing out on all the gatherings and feastings!

As a Chinese, I endeavour to make this a special day in our calendar. But believe me, it's not very easy when no one around you gives you any pressure to observe any of the so-called CNY traditions. I've gotten new pyjamas for everyone to wear on New Year's Eve. This is one of my family tradition since I was a kid and I intend to continue it. We'll have a steamboat reunion dinner at home and have invited 2 friends to join us. Other than that, I'm skipping the spring cleaning (no time, no mood, esp with the heat wave now), am still trying to see if I can buy a new shirt or jeans before Monday, and will most likely just change a new set of bedsheet on the eve. Of course, ang pows for the kids and hopefully, I'll get to exchange a few auspicious greetings with some friends if/when I see them.

I seriously didn't feel any CNY mood until last Saturday when Hubby came home from S'pore with a box of pineapple tarts from my sis-in-law and some Chinese New Year Cards, which I hung up on the wall. Then, my friend gave me her homemade version and I immediately felt the 'spring' fever. I decided that I should perhaps make some other cookies to add to what I have, to make it like a decent spread of goodies, in case anyone comes visiting.

So last minute, I found 2 recipes for Almond Cookies and Peanut Cookies at this site and made a batch each on Monday and today. They turn out quite well, considering my first attempt. The cookies are not difficult to make and they melt in the mouth. Here they are below:


Don't the arrangement looks like the Singapore flag, with a crescent moon and 5 stars?
Here's wishing all my friends, relatives and family in Singapore a very very 新年快乐, 万事如意!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There

Not sure if you know this place where you can get almost anything you can find in Singapore (I Mean groceries etc):
Springvale (So call Vietnam Town). THe Springvale Market sell fresh pork, veggie & there is this Mall next to the Market where there is a Supermarket & at the corner outside this supermarket, there is this vietnamese French baguette sandwich that is very delicious. Inside this shopping, there is many more small veggie, meat & seafood store.

One very nice veggie U can stir fried is spinach Leaf. (You know those small spinach leaf, pple use for Spinach Salad?, that is good for stir fried with Anchovy (Jiang yu)).

Also this is an interesting website, where U can get recipe like Making Pineapple tart:
http://www.rasamalaysia.com/2008/03/recipe-pineapple-tarts.html

Cheers........Sharon

Pink Lavender 10 said...

Hi Sharon, I've heard about Springvale, but haven't been there yet. Now that you mention, I think I should go there tomorrow instead of Footscray, our usual place for asian groceries.

I think I know which veg you are talking about. I happened to buy a pack last week in Coles and used it when I fried bee hoon. Quite nice. Will look out for it from now on. I often think the selection of asian veg here is very limited. But now, I can add one more type to choose from!

I made some pineapple tarts today. It's quite good, I'm very happy with the recipe. Will post about it soon with photos!!

Anonymous said...

If you are looking for more Asian Veggie & like to explore (Am sure You find them in Springvale), you can also get more of them at dandenong Market. THere is the Kangkong, Tang Oh, Fresh Coriander for The fish congee & etc....
If you Love Mutton curry or Beef Rendang, The Muslim Butchery at the corner (Infront of The carpark at a corner, next to the Shopping opposite Dandenong Market) sell ALL fresh meat at a reasonable price.
http://wikimapia.org/138373/Dandenong-Market

Otherwise, Springvale is still cheapest. If you are buying Abalone for new year, U can also get it here.......I alway get it at a Phat Hung locate on a corner of Buckingham Ave & Balmoral Ave (Next to A Dong Seafood & Butcher) (infront of the Carpark). The price of can of Abalone is cheaper those some shop in the Springvale Centre. (Opposite SpringVale centre is the shopping Mall, I talk about in my first post.)
You can use google map, it got very interactive now (U can see at Street level, when u zoom in).
http://maps.google.com/

HAPPY NIU YEAR & GONG XI FA CAI

Cheers..........Sharon

Pink Lavender 10 said...

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the recommendations! We went to Springvale that day and it turned out to be a long drive from our place...:-p There are indeed many asians and asian veg there! However, don't think we'll go there often due to the distance.

You seem very familiar with that area. Are you staying in Melbourne too?

Happy New Year to you too!

Anonymous said...

Hi There

No, I am not Living in Melbourne (Yet) ^__*. But I have been traveling to Melbourne very often since 1997, each time staying on average 1 mth or so (Self Drive). The last few yrs were there with mum to visit my cousin, mum 4 grand niece & Nephew who live in Dandenong.

After some tips given by my cousin & her in laws, we visit most of the local market & eventually settle at Springvale / dandenong Market for fresh produce to cook in our self catered apartment. Dandenong Market have a food cart that sold my favourite Dhral Puri from mauritius.....LOL...

Does your family move to Melbourne for work or migrate permanently to melbourne?

Cheers
Sharon

Pink Lavender 10 said...

Hi Sharon,

Technically, we have migrated. However we haven't really decided how long we're gonna be here.

Are you considering coming here to live as well?

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hi There

Yes, crossing finger within the next yr or so.

How U find life there so far?

My cousin been there for about 14yrs & she enjoying every moment & had 4 kid. Her parent just got their PR (After almost 10yrs wait)& should be down permanently within this yr or next (Throu they are extending their stay to a longer period, from 2mth to 6mth, for now)....

Cheers.........Sharon

Pink Lavender 10 said...

Hi Sharon,

I'm sure you've already experienced it yourself, Melbourne is an extremely liveable place. Especially if you've got family or friends here, you'll settle down in no time.

There are many things we find different from S'pore and enjoy here, like the weather (except the heatwave), the lifestyle and the space. But there are other not so good aspects also which we are discovering and still adjusting to. It really depends on what you want and value in life.

Good luck to you and thank you for visiting my blog. Hope to see you in Melbourne some day. We can keep in touch. You can email me at pinklavender10@gmail.com if you want to.