Sunday, October 18, 2009

Heaven is the place you don't live in

I finally understand, that 'heaven' is the place you don't live in. (And along the same line, the 'best man' is the man you didn't marry!) It's just human nature, isn't it, to take for granted what you have, to compare, to envy and to believe the grass always looks greener on the other side.

What prompted me to be so philosophical was our latest trip to Singapore. In all my life living in Singapore, I have never 'enjoyed' my stay on the sunny island as much as those last 2 weeks of September. It's really funny but true. With the exception of a few odd ones, most of our friends living here in Australia look upon going back to S'pore for a holiday as a trip to 'heaven'. And it's no wonder. What itinerary can be better than the combination of good food, old friends and family reunions?

KK enjoyed his time back to S'pore so much that he sincerely tells people who asked him he prefers Singapore to Australia. He even asked me why the stay is so short. He would like us to stay there for one year. One year? I tell him OK, but that means you have to go to school there. Which also means, right about this time, you should be studying for your yearend exams. That brought it in perspective and he has not brought up the subject of staying in Singapore again ;-)

See what I mean? Holiday destinations always look more beautiful, the people are friendlier, the food taste better and even the water is sweeter than that back home. I used to think this of Australia when I come here for holidays but I know now, except for the scenery, the rest is not all true. It's the same for Singapore. I may have enjoyed my holiday there, but I have not been away that long to forget all the old gripes I had of our lives and the government when living there.

Anyway, now that I understand this human psychology, I constantly remind myself to appreciate the things and people around me and count the little blessings that I have. We can create our own heaven on earth, can't we? There's a little wise saying that goes "Contentment begins with grateful hearts".


No comments: