Saturday, October 24, 2009

Local Delights

After 2 weeks of adjusting from jet lag and recovering from illness, I finally feel normal again. My kitchen is fully back in operation as I began to get into the hang of cooking and baking again.




I've been making some of our regular favourites, like pizzas and pastas, and also trying out quite a few new recipes, thanks in part to some new cookbooks, equipment and gadgets purchased from Singapore.





Sweet Buns

Got the recipe from Baking Mum's blog and tried it out for the first time. I made a variety of fillings, mainly strawberry jam (for XX) and chocolate (for KK). I also made some with pork floss, kaya and cheese, just to experiment a bit. It was quite fun trying out different shapes, and the children participated as well, kneading and shaping the dough. KK made a special one with the word "lego", turned out quite cute.










Chwee Kueh
I've been wanting to make these for a long time. Firstly, it's one of Hubby and my favourite hawker fare. We love the ones from Bedok. Secondly, chwee kuehs are not readily available in Melbourne. We found some at Chomp Chomps but they cost $4.50 for 3!! Though we crave for it, no way we will pay such ridiculous price for rice flour and salted tunips.

So this trip back, I made sure I stopped by Phoon Huat and got 12 chwee kueh moulds, in addition to eating my fill of Bedok's chwee kuehs. My first attempt, I didn't quite like the texture of the rice cakes. They were too dense and hard. I added 100ml more hot water and the next round turned out much softer. Still cannot beat those at Bedok's but it will satisfy the next round of cravings.










Muah Chees
I made these together with a friend, following the recipe from my latest cookbook of kuehs. Turns out really easy and just like those we eat at pasar malams! The tip is to place the sticky dough inside a plastic bag when kneading it, then it won't stick all over your fingers.








Pandan Waffles
My sister bought me a 3-in-1 sandwich maker with interchangeable grill and waffle plates. Pandan waffles is also something that I crave for from Singapore. Also waffles make a good breakfast with kaya/chocolate or dessert with ice-cream and fruits. I've been eyeing a sandwich grill and waffle maker for some time so this one really meets my needs.










Sweet Potato Fa-Gao
My friend made these and I found that they tasted good. So since I've bought a few sweet potatoes recently, I too followed the recipe and made a batch today. Yummy, though I was hoping they'll "fa" (rise) more....hee.



No comments: