Tuesday, October 2, 2007

"So Long, Sucker!"

Today marks my first day as a SAHM (Stay At Home Mum) as I bid farewell to my FTJ (Full Time Job). But that's not what the title of this post is referring to....

This phrase came out of KK's mouth one evening at a restaurant. He said it to a friend that we met at the restaurant cheekily. When trying to do the 'corrective education' later on, we realised he had totally no idea what the word 'sucker' meant. He just picked it up from a computer game where the racing car said this when it overtook another player.


"Oh man!" (Said with a slang. Another favourite phrase learnt from the internet or TV - but this one's fine.) Another reason why I'm convinced I need to be around more.


The ending of the Final Chapter was actually rather sweet, not sad as I'd expected. I had no time to feel sad! I spent the whole morning trying to draft out the traditional 'thank you' emails - I had no idea it was so difficult to write such broadcast messages! After a nice farewell lunch, it was back to frantic packing and throwing as I discovered I'd missed out a drawer of stuff, before rushing down to HR to do clearance.

What made it so sweet were the nice words said to me by quite a number of my friends & colleagues, some face to face, some via emails or notes. Funny why such nice things are only said when one is about to leave? But I'm glad to hear them, not for my ego, but to know that I've made some difference to others' lives.

For now, the greatest beneficiary of my staying home must be my maid. When I'm around, Baby X refuses her, so she's retreated to do other less challenging stuff, like cleaning the soft toys.


Ok, time to take a short break before I go pick up KK from school.



10

No comments: