Wednesday, January 23, 2008

In Remembrance

I have been rather slack in my blogging recently mainly because I have been preoccupied with work and functions. I went to Mauritius again last week and spent another 5 more days at the client's site. I had thought the last trip was the last, but it turned out there were still some unfinished business. Luckily for me, the flight there was made more bearable by their new A330 where they have a more beautiful cabin and AVOD. I was upgraded to Business Class from KUL to MRU and got to enjoy their flat bed, though I didn't sleep a wink since it was a day flight.



The hotel too, is a different one from the one I used to stay. Preskil Beach Resort is only 20 minutes from the airport and has at least 5 things better:


1) More TV channels;


2) Larger, newer and cozier rooms;


3) A bigger buffet spread;


4) A nicer scenary of the beach; and most importantly


5) Internet access!



This is extremely valuable to me. I use it to check my emails and to skype with my husband and kids back home. I can do video conferencing with my webcam and we see each other when we talk. Although the wifi is only available at the main lobby and you have to purchase a pre-paid card, it's still worth it.


On the same day that I arrived back to Singapore, I had a "10th Anniversary" dinner gathering with several of my "batch girls" from SIA. It was 19 January 1998 when we started our training as trainee flight stewardesses. By now, there is only a handful still flying, most of whom have already reached the next rank. When we started, most of the girls were fresh from school, some as young as only 19 years old. Now, many are already married and have children. We've lost touch with many of them and couldn't get all to turn up. In the end, it was just 4 of us. Well, we enjoyed the catching up nonetheless. Though there is one person we sorely missed.




Rachel has been one of my best friend in the batch. Because we stayed just two blocks from each other and only 15 minutes from STC, we used to walk to class every morning together. Sometimes her father, a taxi driver, would give his precious daughter a lift and I would get to enjoy a nice cool ride to school as well. Everyday, for 4 months, we'll laugh and joke, study and have tea breaks together. Though we went to separate teams after graduation, we kept in touch and the bond remained strong. Unfortunately one day, Rachel discovered she had a cancerous growth on her breast. It was to be the beginning of a 2 year struggle with the disease. She lost the battle and I lost a cheerful, bubbly friend. She was only 26 years old.


Till today, I think of her sometimes and could still vividly remember her infectious laughter. I often wondered what she will be if she had still been alive. I really feel unjustified for her short life and wondered why God would be so harsh to such a nice girl? If anything, her death has taught me to appreciate my life, cherish the people around me and to count my blessings everyday.


Before we went to dinner that night, we paid a visit to Choa Chu Kang Crematorium to visit our dear friend Rachel. It has taken me 3 years but I'm glad I made the trip. I've always wanted to pay my respects but I've not managed to fulfill that wish until now.


It was for me a night of remembrance.