Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Privilege or Pressure?

It's a fact. Kids are better behaved when mummy is NOT around. Two of my friends have told me that before but it was only recently that I realised its universal truth. It appears that the children are more clingy, throw more tantrums and don't behave as well in front of mummy.

When I went overseas for a week recently, KK sat at the table during meal times enough to win a reward from his father. XX does not pester his father to carry him and play with him ALL the time. It appears the household was very much in order, based on the Skype conversations I have with Hubby. But when it's the other way around, Hubby flies off and I stay home, I realised that I have to constantly nag at KK to stay by the table during meals. And XX, he protests vehemently whenever the maid tries to take him from me. He refuses to go to sleep if he spots me around. I admit it, I actually hide myself and have to creep like a thief into the room so I can have a few moments on my own.

Of course, it will be more positive to think of this as a "privilege" that only a mother enjoys. The theory is that a child knows somehow that from their mother, they can extract empathy and tenderness, something most men have trouble expressing. Also, Daddy, being the man that he is, is very much pragmatic and have a low tolerance for crap. Kids are very perceptive, despite their age. They know they can get away with nonsense with Mummy but with Daddy, they'll probably get the cane.

Privilege or pressure? You decide. My guess is, it's probably one of those things that the men are so glad "the men don't get it".