Friday, May 30, 2008

35th Birthday

Last Saturday was my 35th birthday and I celebrated it in Melbourne.


Hubby had suggested a balloon flight on that day. However, we would have to leave the house like 4am to drive to the destination for the balloon flight. In the wee hours, the temperature would be around 3-4 degrees and I don't think KK has the right amount of thick clothes. So I counter-proposed that maybe we should postpone it till spring or summer when the weather is not so cold. This way, perhaps XX can also join us then.


The eve before my birthday, I was surprised by mid-night birthday cake. The friends that I put up with had bought a durian cake for me. By 11pm, I was actually putting KK to bed and ready to sleep myself. But around mid-night, I remembered KK still hasn't brushed his teeth so I ushered him out to the bathroom while I went to the toilet. When I came out of the toilet, KK was nowhere to be seen. That's when I noticed that Hubby and Ken were also suspiciously missing. The 2 ladies watching TV in the living room gave a hesitant 'don't know' when I asked them if they know where KK is. I heard voices in Ken's room and went there to ask if KK is inside. The door opened and I see my son holding a candle-lit birthday cake!


Honestly, I kind of suspected it when KK let the cat out of the bag earlier to me. He told me excitedly he has a surprise for me but he's not telling me. Well, I had thought it was for the next day and didn't expect it to be so soon. I also received 2 cards, one of them from Hubby. In fact, there was a bouquet of flowers too from Hubby, but he forgot about it because he had hidden it outside. So I only received it the next morning. Out of sight, out of mind...that's Men! But it's ok, it was a nice to see the bouquet when I woke up, kind of makes the special day lasts longer.


That was about all the highlights of my big day. By the way, the durian cake tasted superb. I didn't expect you could find durian cake in Australia! I spent the actual day itself doing really normal stuff like shopping and errands. Not that I was in much of a celebratory mood either. There's too much errands and shopping to be completed in preparation for the big move.


It occurred to me just that my new age has now classified me as 'high risk' mother-to-be, if I were ever to get pregnant again. That's a milestone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey SIS,

Wow.. What a heart warming birthday u had in Aus! Hmm.. esp the scenes where KK holding the birthday's cake to surprised u..and off course, the lovely roses from Khim!!

Kinda of saddening to know u be so far away on your next birthday, as well as KK and XX birthdays.. I am gonna miss u all!!

Sob sob, YiYi (Pauline.C)