Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bad, Bad News

Sometimes, I will complain "today's newspaper is so boring." Meaning the newspapers are super thin (not enough news stories) or there are no interesting news stories. But really, no news is good news.

Recent days newspapers are 'super interesting', filled with colourful pictures and eyecatching headlines. Thanks alot to the natural disaters in Myanmar and China. Of course, not forgetting the crazy dads in Austria. One kept his daughter imprisoned for 24 years and the other, just reported today, hacked his wife, 7-year old daughter, parents and father-in-law to death with an axe.

Reading all these news keeps my eyes widely glued to the papers but also leaves my mind spinning and my heart feeling very heavy. I certainly don't feel good seeing pictures of dead bodies hugged by crying relatives or imagining the kind of life the imprisoned daughter has had to endure. As a mother, it is heart wrenching to see children suffering cos I can imagine if it was my child. I can't believe how any parent could harm their own flesh and blood. I also shudder in horror when I read news of sons killing their parents. Imagine how would you feel, after all those years of painstaking care and upbringing, to think that who knows some day your own son would come hacking after you with an axe.

The weather is warm and sunny outside, but I feel rather gloomy.