Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Goodbye Winter

I cannot believe that winter is almost over. The shopping catalogues are already advertising Spring clothings. That's the unofficial way I know when a season is nearing its official end...haha. But seriously, I was still thinking it will get colder. We can't have reached the peak of winter. Where were those nights where I have to wear 2 layers of pyjamas and bedsocks to sleep? What about those chilly winter mornings where I have to warm up my clothes on the heater before I can put them on?



I swear this winter is warmer than the last but the husband thinks it's more like I've become acclimatised. Maybe he's right. I remembered I used to curl up like a prawn when I sleep, my muscles all squeezed up trying to keep warm. I don't even dare to move my leg in case my feet touch a cold part of the bedsheet! And I'll wake up whole body aching. But these days, I'm sleeping much more comfortable and relaxed. My hands also don't feel and look as dry as I remembered when I first arrived. On days of about 17 degrees, I can go outside with just a t-shirt and a knitted pullover.

Another possibility is, I've become smarter at surviving the cold, I now don't feel the 'damaging' effects so much. I wear rubber gloves whenever I need to wash the plates or touch the ice cold running water (except when I brush my teeth or wash my hands). And I've changed my quilt to a woollen one for winter and even got flannette bedsheets. That really helps.



When it comes to tolerating the cold, the children do much better than us adults. My sons doesn't feel cold wearing thin t-shirt pyjamas in the house whereas I'm constantly wrapped in a fleece gown. They run around the house bare feet but I need my slippers to step onto the cold ceremic tiles. They have adapted to the cold so much faster than us.

The howling wind banging our garage door outside is the one familiar thing that brings back memories of our first days in Aussie land. Initially, I couldn't sleep as it sounded like the wind is gonna blow the house down but these days I've gotten used to it although I wouldn't be surprised if I wake up one day and find one of the windows or outdoor roof blown off. We had never felt winds so strong before in our lives back in S'pore. Days like these, better to stay indoors and turn on the heater.

A significant memory of this winter for our family would be the flu. It was very obvious that once winter came, the children all started falling sick and it was one flu after another. Some serious, others milder. XX got it worse. Today he's still fighting a runny nose, this one compliments of mummy.... :-(

Goodbye winter and shoo, shoo, sniff, sniff.

No comments: