Thursday, August 27, 2009

Nasi Lemak

Was missing Nasi Lemak the other day. This popular malay dish is readily available in Malaysian/Singaporean restaurants around Glen Waverly and Doncaster, but that's 1 hour's drive away from where we live now. Anyway, I had on hand a kilo of chicken wings, half a packet of Seah's fried chicken spices, some dried anchovies, a can of coconut milk and most importantly, a jar of Nasi Lemak Sambal chilli that has been sitting in the larder for a long time, compliments of my sister in S'pore.




So some oily frying of chicken wings and sambal ikan billis with onions later, I have made myself a simple Nasi Lemak dinner!





The lemak rice is actually quite easy to make, just add the coconut milk (165ml to 2.5 cups of rice for me) and a teaspoon of salt into the rice, top up with water to the usual level, and cook in rice cooker. I added some veggies into the meal with a tomato omelette as I know the children would not take raw cucumber and tomatoes.




The dish brings back memories of S'pore's hawker culture, except the weather is not quite the same. I remember eating Nasi Lemak in Changi Village, feeling hot and sticky outside but warm and yummy inside. Nevertheless, the husband and I enjoyed the meal tremendously. I was quite worried about the rice as I actually 'hum-tumped' the proportions, but it turned out just right. Unfortunately, both the kids didn't like the lemak rice... :( I guess Nasi Lemak is just not good without the sambal chilli, ya?

No comments: