Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Holiday in Brisbane - update #7

8 September

Finally, it’s time to pack up and go home. On the last night I am going to have an uninterrupted sleep, I laid awake for over 2 hours after waking up in the middle of the night to pee. I looked at the time, about 3.30am. This will be about 1.30am in Singapore. I wondered if Baby X is awake as well.

I woke up around 8am and started to cook instant noodles and sausages for breakfast (clear food!). There were some toiletries to pack, trash to throw and also some last dishes to wash before 9.30am – the check-out time. I didn’t want to leave a bad impression on Singaporean travelers, so I made an extra effort to fold the blankets, pull the sheets on the bed properly before leaving.

We made our way to Brisbane city, detouring to do some last minute shopping of sausages and cheese for Mom. For this special purchase, we had purposely bought a plastic container (that cost more than the sausages). I couldn’t resist grabbing a kilo of middle bacon as well. Meat is just so cheap in Australia.

The flight home was better than the other way south. As it was a day flight, we spent the next 7 hours eating, drinking and watching movies. I found out KK was actually waiting for the lights to turn out when we were about to land. Sitting near to us was a Caucasian couple with a young baby, probably about the same age as Baby X. I couldn’t help thinking how it would be if I had brought Baby X along on this trip. It would never be this leisurely, I’m sure. When you're looking at others, it seemed so easy. That baby behaved extremely well though. He drank milk and slept, drank milk and slept, for the whole flight. I guarantee you Baby X would never be so easy. I sometimes wondered if Baby X will ever complain when he grows up that we’ve left him behind. Then again, looking at the dad walking up and down the aisle, I’m convinced our decision was best for everyone. I am looking forward to seeing Baby X again. Wonder how he’ll react when he sees us again.

We cleared immigration, customs and picked up our luggage with the usual efficiency of Changi Airport but there was no sight of my family at the arrival hall. They are on their way….

Baby X stared at me wide-eyed when the car pulled up. I took him in my arms and kissed him. No resistance, he acts as if we’ve never been apart. Carrying him has never felt so good.